An Israeli settler was killed and a woman travelling with him in his car was lightly wounded Sunday morning in a shooting attack near the West Bank village of Yabed, Israel Radio reported.
According to initial investigation, the two were traveling at around 6:30 A.M. (local time) near the village when shots were fired at them from an ambush between the settlements of Mevo Dotan and Shaked, the radio added. The settler sustained critical wounds and died a short while later.
Fatah's Al Aqsa Martyrs Brigades claimed responsibility for the shooting.
In a statement the group said the attack was revenge for Israel's killings of seven of their leaders in a raid last week in the West Bank city of Nablus.
A Palestinian witness said he saw two gunmen open fire on the Israeli car accompanied by a bus, as they passed along the road near the village of Yabed.
"Seven bullets were fired...and one hit him in the head. He died at the scene and his wife telephoned [for help]," Moti Amir, the settlement's security officer, told Israel Radio on Sunday.
Late Saturday night, Israeli troops foiled an infiltration attempt at the West Bank settlement of Bracha. A Palestinian fighter who approached the settlement, which is located near Nablus, was killed, Israeli military sources said.
Meanwhile, on Sunday, Israeli border police fired at two Palestinians during a chase in Jerusalem. According to reports, one of the Palestinians was killed.
Elsewhere, Israeli troops killed a boy in the northern Gaza Strip Refugee Camp of Jabalya, Palestinian medical sources said. Medical sources at Odwan Hospital, in Beit Lahya, told WAFA that Adnan Manssour, 17, was killed when an Israeli tank opened fire at him. (Albawaba.com)
© 2004 Al Bawaba (www.albawaba.com)