The woman thought to have blown herself up alongside the organiser of the Paris terror attacks was NOT a suicide bomber, it has emerged.
Hasna Aitboulahcen was originally accused of being a fanatical Islamic State operative with an explosive vest strapped to her body.
The 26-year-old was embroiled in a siege with her twisted cousin Abdelhamid Abaaoud but it Paris prosecutors have now revealed her head was in fact blown off when a third man standing next to her in the St Denis flat blew himself up on Wednesday morning.
Hasna Aitboulahcen, a suburban Parisian who had studied at university and run a building company, was heard to shout "Help me, help me!" in the seconds before her death.
This raises the prospect that Ait Boulahcen was trying to give herself up – and may even have been a hostage – when she was caught in the crossfire.
Asked to explain the U-turn further tonight, the Paris prosecutor Francois Molins said: "All I can tell you is that the kamikaze was not Hasna."
Colleagues of Mr Molins said "more human parts" were found in the rubble of the St-Denis house which was attacked as part of a counter-terrorism operation on Wednesday.
Attempts are being made to identify the decimated corpse, which is "believed to be that of a man", said another prosecutor sources involved in the investigation into the Paris bloodbath, in which 130 died.
There is a possibility that it could be Salah Abdeslam, who was responsible for at least one of the Paris terrace shootings.
Images of Abdeslam shooting people were caught on CCTV, and he is also known to have hired cars and hotel rooms for the IS suicide squad.
Salah’s brother, Brahim, blew himself up at the Comptoir Voltaire restaurant, but the investigators believe Salah ran away rather than destroy himself.
A statement from the Paris prosecutor today said a handbag has also been retrieved from the scene in St-Denis, along with Hasna Aitboulahcen’s French passport.
The statement reads: "Three people have been killed in the assault, including Abaaoud."
It came as counter-terrorism officers also raided a mosque in the western port city of Brest this morning.
The 3.30am operation was particularly significant because it was the first time that a mosque has been targeted since the current crisis started exactly a week ago.
It went on for two-and-a-half hours, as police were also seen swarming into the nearby home of the mosque’s radical Imam, Rachid Abou Houdeyfa.
Jean-Luc Videlaine, the Finistere prefect, said: "The home of Rachid Eljay, better known as the Imam Rachid Abou Houdeyfa, was also raided while he was there, while others close to him were helping with the raid on the mosque."
Last month, Abou Houdeyfa caused outrage when he suggested that any Muslims who listened to music risked being turned into pork or a monkey by Allah.
But he has also condemned the Paris bloodbath, saying that the IS terrorists responsible ‘had nothing to do with Islam’.
At the most recent count, 95 people were still being treated in hospital following the Paris attacks. Three are in a critical condition, and 41 in intensive care.
By Peter Allen
Copyright © 2019 Trinity Mirror Group