Army chief: Israel to intensify operations in occupied territories

Published March 2nd, 2004 - 02:00 GMT
Al Bawaba
Al Bawaba

The Israeli army announced it would heighten its battle against Palestinian groups. 

 

"In wake of the intensification of the activities of the terrorist organisations over the last few weeks, we will intensify our anti-terror operations," the Israeli military's chief of staff, General Moshe Yaalon (Bugi), told Army Radio Tuesday.  

 

"In this kind of situation, attack is the best form of defense ... We will pursue the terrorists - whoever they are and wherever they are."  

 

Yaalon said that "anarchy" had now taken hold in the West Bank and Gaza Strip. Meanwhile, the radio also reported that the army's top brass had been given orders to "eliminate as many terrorists as possible" ahead of an expected Israeli withdrawal from the south and center of the Gaza Strip as part of Sharon's so-called "separation plan."  

 

In London, Israel's Foreign Minister Silvan Shalom said Tuesday Prime Minister Ariel Sharon will report his decision on a possible withdrawal from the Gaza Strip when he meets U.S. President George W. Bush in Washington late March.  

 

Shalom told a news conference in London that a complete withdrawal of soldiers and settlers was one of the options being considered.  

 

Shalom, who is in London for talks with Prime Minister Tony Blair and Foreign Secretary Jack Straw, added that he thought Sharon would meet with Palestinian Prime Minister Ahmed Qurei this month.  

 

Straw said he would welcome a withdrawal from Gaza as long as Israeli settlers were relocated in Israel rather than in the West Bank. (Albawaba.com)

© 2004 Al Bawaba (www.albawaba.com)

Subscribe

Sign up to our newsletter for exclusive updates and enhanced content