Assault on Aleppo continues: Over 70 civilians killed in clashes

Published August 15th, 2016 - 12:00 GMT
A rebel fighter reloads the magazine of his weapon during clasahes with regime forces in Ramussa on the southwestern edges of Syria's northern city of Aleppo on August 6, 2016. (AFP/Hadi Al-Falabi)
A rebel fighter reloads the magazine of his weapon during clasahes with regime forces in Ramussa on the southwestern edges of Syria's northern city of Aleppo on August 6, 2016. (AFP/Hadi Al-Falabi)

There has been heavy fighting in Aleppo as Syrian government forces and rebels battle for control of the city.

Over the last 24 hours an increase in airstrikes carried out by the Syrian regime and its ally Russia are also said to have have left scores dead in the region and in Idlib province.

The British based Syrian Observatory for Human Rights reports nearly 70 civilian deaths.

Meanwhile a suicide bomb blast at Atmeh in the north of the country has claimed at least 15 lives and injured 25 others.

But in Manbij, in Aleppo province near the Turkish border, people have been celebrating following their liberation from Daesh. On Friday Syrian Democratic Forces (SDF) said they had freed over 2,000 civilian hostages who had been held by the militants.


Copyright © euronews 2019

You may also like