Bombing attack at W. Bank checkpoint kills two Palestinians, wounds seven Israeli policemen

Published August 11th, 2004 - 02:00 GMT
Al Bawaba
Al Bawaba

Two Palestinians were killed while 16 others and seven Israeli policemen were wounded Wednesday in an explosion south of the Israeli checkpoint at Qalandiyah, between Jerusalem and the West Bank city of Ramallah. Among the dead was a 60-year-old Palestinian man. He was identified as Salah Abu Sneineh. Three members of his family, including a 6-year-old grandson, were injured, hospital officials in the West Bank town of Ramallah said.  

 

Three of the Israeli wounded were in serious condition, one is in moderate condition and three were lightly wounded. In addition, a number of Palestinians were injured as a result of the blast. 

 

Reports indicated that the explosion was caused by a suicide bomber who drove south from the direction of Ramallah to a temporary checkpoint set up by Israeli forces between Qalandiyah and nearby A-Ram. The bomber detonated his explosives when he reached the impromptu checkpoint.  

 

Fatah's al Aqsa Martyrs Brigades have claimed the credit for this bombing attack. In a telephone call to The Associated Press, it said the bombing was meant to avenge the killing of a leader of the Brigades by Israel last month. (Albawaba.com)

© 2004 Al Bawaba (www.albawaba.com)

Subscribe

Sign up to our newsletter for exclusive updates and enhanced content