An explosion rocked the Yemeni port city of Mukalla on Thursday killing several people, according to local residents.
Military officials reported that Al-Qaeda militants, including three suicide bombers who blew up vehicles, were behind the explosion which killed at least 13 Yemeni government troops outside the southeastern port city of Mukalla on Thursday.
One assailant crashed a vehicle loaded with explosives into the gate of a base in the Khalf district, before being immediately followed by a second suicide bomber who blew up a car in the center of the camp, the official said.
Several soldiers were also wounded in an attack carried out near the Hadramawt provincial capital, an area recaptured from Al-Qaeda last month, according to the official.
Immediately after the blasts took place, Al-Qaeda militants were reported to have clashed with military forces outside the base.
A third suicide attacker targeted the residence of the commander of Hadramawt's second military region, General Faraj Salmeen, but he escaped unharmed, the official said.
Commabder General Abdulrahman al-Haleeli also survived a suicide attack which targeted his convoy on Wednesday, leaving four of his guards dead.
© 2000 - 2019 Al Bawaba (www.albawaba.com)