British PM on landmark visit to Iraq; Another American soldier killed as US plans to send additional troops

Published May 29th, 2003 - 02:00 GMT
Al Bawaba
Al Bawaba

British Prime Minister Tony Blair Thursday arrived in Iraq on a historic visit to extend thanks to British troops for the role they played throughout the war. The British Prime Minister arrived in Basra, following a short visit to Kuwait.  

 

Blair’s visit comes after an escalation in clashes between Iraqis and American troops in recent days.  

 

On Thursday, a US soldier was killed while traveling on a main supply route in Iraq, according to a military statement. This death brings to nine the number of American soldiers who have died throughout Iraq this week, while more than 20 have been injured. 

 

The brief statement on Thursday released by the US Central Command said the soldier was evacuated to 21st Combat Support Hospital where he was pronounced dead.  

 

Tony Blair is the first Western leader to visit Iraq since Saddam Hussein was toppled from power. Addressing about 400 British troops in Basra, Blair said: "I know there are a lot of disagreements in the country about the wisdom of my decision to order the action. "But, I can assure you of one thing, there is absolutely no dispute in Britain at all about your professionalism and your courage and your dedication." 

 

Mr Blair told the troops they could be proud "not just of the way you won the war, which was extraordinary, but the way that you are conducting the peace, which is remarkable". 

 

"It is most important to thank the troops on behalf of the country, because this was, more than any other conflict in recent times, a very, very tough conflict”, he said earlier.  

 

"People risked their lives, in some cases lost their lives, and so it's right that I go there and I see the troops there and thank them personally out in the theatre," he said.  

 

The Prime Minister will also discuss the task of reconstructing Iraq, in the aftermath of the war, and insists that his short visit is not about triumphalism.  

 

According to the BBC, Blair is also expected to meet the UK's new representative in Iraq, John Sawers, Paul "Jerry" Bremer, the head of America's Office of Reconstruction and Humanitarian Assistance, and to hold talks with Ann Clwyd, his newly-appointed special envoy on human rights to Iraq.  

 

Blair had said the priority in Iraq in the short term was humanitarian tasks and reconstruction.  

 

"We need to discuss with the people on the spot what more they need from us and the political leadership to make sure the reconstruction of Iraq proceeds apace."  

 

Regarding the security situation, the British leader said, "Down in the south, in Basra and some of the towns there, life is returning to normal, and added, "In Baghdad there has been a serious security problem but let's not forget this country does have its freedom."  

 

Meanwhile, US military commanders currently plan to retain a larger force in Iraq than had been expected and to dispatch war-hardened units to trouble areas outside Baghdad, the New York Times reported, citing top American officials.  

 

In its Thursday edition, the paper said that instead of sending home the 3rd Infantry Division, which led the charge on the capital of Baghdad, American officials are developing plans that call for most of its troops to extend their stay and be used to “quell unrest and extend American control.” 

 

US officials said that an estimated 160,000 American and British troops were in Iraq and that most were probable to stay until security improves and other countries “eased the burden” by contributing troops.  

 

Furthermore, according to the report, in addition to delaying the withdrawal of the 3rd Infantry Division, additional forces, consisting of engineers and intelligence units may be sent from the United States.  

 

A month ago, American military officials outlined a plan that would have reduced the American troop presence to less than two divisions by September, a force of 70,000 or substantially less, including logistical support.  

 

That plan was based on the assumption that security would improve and that troops from other countries would arrive.  

 

However, ongoing attacks on American troops, violence by criminal groups, slow progress toward rebuilding the Iraqi police and security forces and the extensive amount of territory to be secured have led American commanders to rethink their initial plans regarding the pace of the reductions. (Albawaba.com)

© 2003 Al Bawaba (www.albawaba.com)

Subscribe

Sign up to our newsletter for exclusive updates and enhanced content