Car bombing kills at least 12 as US soldier dead in attack north of Baghdad

Published June 13th, 2004 - 02:00 GMT
Al Bawaba
Al Bawaba

A suicide attacker detonated a car bomb near a U.S. military camp in Baghdad on Sunday, killing 12 people and wounding 13, the US military said.  

 

The bomb went off about 300 yards from Camp Curvo, run by the 1st Calvary Division, as a police patrol stopped the bomber. 

 

Lt. Col. James Hutton, a spokesman for the 1st Cavalry Division said 12 were killed and 13 were wounded in the blast. He said there were no U.S. casualties.  

 

Among the dead were four policemen and the bomber, said police Capt. Abdul-Razzaq Kadhem. Two charred bodies of policemen - covered by blankets - could be seen in one of the damaged police cars that was part of the patrol.  

 

Eight civilian cars were damaged, Kadhem added.  

 

Lt. Col. James Hutton, spokesman of the 1st Cavalry Division, confirmed there had been an explosion outside a military camp. He said there were casualties, but had no further information.  

 

A few hours later, an American soldier was killed after a bombing and small arms attack near Taji, which is located north of Iraq's capital. Two other Americans were wounded in the attack. One assailant was also killed in the incident, reports said. 

 

Elsewhere, a locally prominent Kurdish cleric was killed in Kirkuk when gunmen opened fire while he was visiting neighbors, police said Sunday. 

 

Iyad Khorshid, a Sunni preacher, was killed 

instantly in the Saturday night attack, according to police 

Col. Sarhat Qadir. 

 

A policeman was also killed in a separate incident when 

two attackers broke into his house and shot him dead in 

front of his family, Qadir added. (Albawaba.com)

© 2004 Al Bawaba (www.albawaba.com)

Subscribe

Sign up to our newsletter for exclusive updates and enhanced content