Daesh claims Sanaa mosque attack, 13 injured

Published May 22nd, 2015 - 01:49 GMT
People inspect damage following a string of Daesh-claimed attacks in March on Shiite mosques in Yemen's capital Sanaa. Friday's attack injured 13, say security sources.  (AFP/File)
People inspect damage following a string of Daesh-claimed attacks in March on Shiite mosques in Yemen's capital Sanaa. Friday's attack injured 13, say security sources. (AFP/File)

Extremist group Daesh claimed a Friday attack on a Shiite mosque in Yemen’s capital Sanaa, reportedly injuring 13 people, according to Reuters.  

“Members of the caliphate in Sanaa have detonated an explosive device in a Houthi mosque in the people’s district…which led to the death and injury of many of them,” read a Daesh statement on Twitter. 

Security sources told Reuters said a bomb was planted inside the mosque before Friday prayers began.  Two of the 13 wounded people are in critical condition.  

Friday’s mosque attack falls alongside a crisis that has deepened sectarian tensions within Yemen.  Iranian-backed Shiite Houthi insurgents in recent months have seized large areas of the country, prompting the formation of a Saudi-led Arab coalition that is conducting airstrikes to halt their advances.  

Meanwhile, Sunni extremist groups, including Daesh, have been taking advantage of the chaos to extend their reach in Yemen. 

In April, Daesh released a video purporting their presence in Yemen

Earlier in March, the group claimed a violent string of bombing attacks on Shiite mosques in Sanaa, killing at least 142 people during Friday prayer.  

Daesh has also claimed a number of other attacks around Yemen in recent months. 


© 2000 - 2021 Al Bawaba (www.albawaba.com)

You may also like

Subscribe

Sign up to our newsletter for exclusive updates and enhanced content