Day of rage in Palestine: Israeli police briefly storm into Temple Mount; Palestinian boy killed

Published October 4th, 2002 - 02:00 GMT

Israeli police stormed the Temple Mount on Friday, after dozens of Palestinian worshippers threw stones at the Western Wall plaza following Friday prayers, Israeli sources said. Police used stun grenades and tear gas to disperse the Palestinians. According to Palestinian sources, there were about 5,000 worshippers on the Mount at the time.  


The sources added that after prayers, most of the worshippers left the Temple Mount, but about 150 stayed behind, inside the al-Aqsa mosque.  


According to police sources, no injuries were sustained and no damage was caused during the incident, and worshippers were later allowed to leave the Temple Mount.  


"It was thought they were intending to throw rocks into the plaza where (Jewish) worshippers were, so police entered the (Temple Mount) compound and fired a few stun grenades," a spokesman said. 


"People were told to leave the Wall plaza below, and the Waqf (Islamic religious authority) then helped calmed the situation down. It is quiet now. Worshippers have returned." 


Police had withdrawn from the Temple Mount compound, he added. 


Also Friday, a 15-year-old Palestinian was shot and killed by Israeli soldiers at a roadblock close to the West Bank village of Barata, west of Mount Hebron.  


Palestinian sources identified him as Mohammed Ali Zeid. Earlier, Israeli troops fired and critically wounded a 12-year-old Palestinian boy in Nablus.  


An army spokesman said soldiers on patrol in Nablus fired after being targeted by gunmen in the vicinity. An Israeli soldier was seriously wounded during the clashes in the West Bank refugee camp of Askar, east of Nablus.  


Witnesses said the boy, Ibrahim al-Madani, was cut down by shots aimed at a Palestinian cab driver who had jumped out of his car to avoid troops in jeeps trying to detain him near the entrance of the Askar camp.  


In Jenin, Palestinian witnesses said Israeli troops fired at random and wounded four civilians. The army spokesman said troops fired toward the source of shots aimed at a patrol seconds earlier.  


Also Friday, Palestinians fired four mortars at different settlements in the Gush Katif settlement bloc in the Gaza Strip, Israel Radio reported. No injuries or damage were reported in the attack.  


An anti-tank missile was also fired at an Israeli outpost in the Gaza Strip without causing injuries, the radio said.  


Israeli troops arrested four wanted Palestinians on Friday near the West Bank city of Hebron. Two of the wanted men were captured in the village of Dura, south of Hebron and the other two were caught west of the city.  


Israeli forces also arrested 14 Palestinians overnight Thursday in the West Bank and Gaza Strip. 


It should be mentioned that Palestinian political groups decided on Thursday to launch a day of rage on Friday in protest against the US Congress bill demanding recognition of Jerusalem as the capital of Israel.  


In a joint statement, Palestinian organizations called upon Arabs and Muslims all over the world to consider Friday a day of anger against the recent US Congress bill. The statement also urged Arab and Islamic states to suspend diplomatic ties with the United States and recall their ambassadors from Washington in case the decision is activated.  


It also asked Palestinians to defy the Israeli army curfew imposed on the Palestinian cities. ( 

© 2000 - 2021 Al Bawaba (

You may also like


Sign up to our newsletter for exclusive updates and enhanced content