The death toll of an armed bandit attack in Nigeria has risen to 58 -- up from 45 earlier reported -- as officials and villagers comb bushes, a local chief said on Monday.
Saturday evening's attack occurred in the Gwashka village in the northwestern Kaduna state.
“More people are still being looked for. At the moment, the total number of corpses so far recovered is 58,” Zubairu Mai Gwari, emir of the Birnin-Gwari Local Government, told reporters.
On Monday, the Nigerian government announced the deployment of at least a battalion of soldiers to the town to beef up security.
Birnin-Gwari has recorded several attacks by armed bandits alleged to be cattle thieves and other criminal gangs this year.
Separately, the army has announced the rescue of at least 1,000 hostages from Boko Haram militants in the Bama area of the insurgency-wracked northeastern region.
© Copyright Andolu Ajansi