Twenty foreigners and two Tunisians were killed after militants attacked a museum in the Tunisian capital, and now the EU said it was Daesh (ISIS) that should be held responsible, Reuters reported Wednesday.
One Tunisian tourist and a policeman were among the casualties in Tunis.
Al Arabiya News reported lawmakers were also held in the country's parliament, after gunmen stormed the building with Kalashnikov rifles in the middle of a session discussing anti-terrorism legislation. The TAP state news agency said gunfire was exchanged at the parliament building between the attacker and police, who evacuated the captives.
"With the attack that has struck Tunis today, the Daesh terrorist organization is once again targeting the countries and peoples of the Mediterranean region," EU foreign policy chief Federica Mogherini said in a statement. "This strengthens our determination to cooperate more closely with our partners to confront the terrorist threat."
An interior ministry spokesman told Reuters two gunmen at Bardo Museum, which is next to the parliament building, have been surrounded by security.
The committees suspended their meetings, a parliament member told AFP.
Tunisia has been battling extremists since the country's revolution in 2011 against former President Zine El-Abidine Ben Ali inspired the Arab Spring. The North African nation has so far managed to avoid the violence the rest of the region has been facing.
© 2000 - 2021 Al Bawaba (www.albawaba.com)