Israeli settler shot in West Bank dies from injuries

Published July 1st, 2015 - 06:00 GMT

Malachi Moshe Rosenfeld, one of four Israelis gunned down in a terrorist shooting near the West Bank settlement of Shvut Rachel late Monday, died of his wounds, the family announced on Tuesday.

Rosenfeld suffered serious injuries and was rushed to Shaare Zedek Medical Center in Jerusalem, where doctors treated him throughout the day on Tuesday.

In a statement released by Hadassah Medical Center Wednesday, the hospital released an update on the condition of two other victims of the attack.

After 12 hours of surgery, one of the victims, 34, is said to be in stable condition and still sedated after being struck in the lower extremities. The other wounded victim, 26, was also hit in the lower extremities and is in stable condition. 

Security forces believe that the attack was carried out by a terror cell and not by an individual, and sweeps were under way to locate the perpetrators. The security forces also believed that the attack was planned in advance.

Hours earlier, a female IDF Military Police officer sustained moderate-to-serious wounds after being stabbed in the neck at the south Jerusalem security checkpoint Rachel’s Crossing, in what police are deeming a terrorist attack.

According to police spokesman Micky Rosenfeld, the assault took place a few minutes after 11 a.m. when the female suspect, identified as 20-year-old Misun Musa, a resident of Bethlehem, lunged at the 20-year-old officer, impaling her neck with the blade.

The suspect was then detained after a brief chase.

The defense establishment levied sanctions against the Palestinians on Tuesday after the two terror attacks.

The defense establishment decided to cancel the good will gesture by which Palestinian women entering Israel this coming Friday to pray at Al Aqsa Mosque will not have to undergo a security check.

Defense Minister Moshe Ya'alon said Tuesday during a tour of the Golan Heights that the entry to the Temple Mount would be limited this Friday to men above 50 years old. As an additional security measure, forces in the West Bank will be reinforced and more checkpoints will be put up.

Ya'alon said further that "there is activity from terror operatives and efforts to increase terror in the West Bank."

He said that the latest shooting attack near Shvut Rachel was organized by Hamas operatives abroad who reside in Istanbul. According to Ya'alon, the Hamas command center that in the past was stationed in Syria has moved to Istanbul and is being funded by Iranian money.

Ya'alon said that this foreign Hamas command was behind Monday night's shooting and the shooting attack which killed 25-year-old Danny Gonen near Dolev in the West Bank last week.


All rights reserved © The Jerusalem Post 1995 - 2021

You may also like