Israeli strikes kill 32 Lebanese over 24 hours

Published May 18th, 2026 - 05:25 GMT
Israeli strikes kill 32 Lebanese over 24 hours
Smoke rises from the site of an Israeli airstrike that targeted the southern Lebanese village of Choukine on May 17, 2026. AFP
Highlights
President Joseph Aoun said Lebanon remained committed to negotiations aimed at ending the conflict. Speaking during a meeting with Deputy Michel Zaher at Baabda Presidential Palace, Aoun rejected reports suggesting Beirut opposed negotiations.

ALBAWABA- The Lebanese Ministry of Public Health said Israeli military strikes killed 32 people and wounded 63 others across Lebanon over the past 24 hours, as violence continued despite a fragile US-brokered ceasefire.

According to the ministry, the latest casualties bring the total number of people killed since the escalation of hostilities on March 2 to 3,020, while 9,273 others have been injured. Lebanese authorities have previously accused Israel of targeting medical facilities and healthcare workers, deepening the humanitarian crisis in southern Lebanon.

The fighting is part of the 2026 Lebanon conflict, which escalated after years of tension following the November 2024 ceasefire between Israel and Hezbollah. While the ceasefire formally aimed to end hostilities, it was repeatedly strained amid continued Israeli military operations in Lebanon and ongoing cross-border exchanges.

These included hundreds of Israeli strikes over the following period, alongside intermittent rocket fire from Hezbollah, ultimately contributing to the collapse of the truce framework and the renewed escalation beginning on March 2.

Israel subsequently intensified airstrikes and ground operations in southern Lebanon, particularly in areas extending toward the Litani River, saying the operations target Hezbollah infrastructure and military positions.

Although a US-mediated ceasefire remains in effect and was recently extended for an additional 45 days, both sides continue to accuse each other of repeated violations.

Meanwhile, Hezbollah has claimed responsibility for several attacks targeting Israeli military positions in southern Lebanon and northern Israel using rockets, drones, and other munitions, describing the operations as retaliation against ongoing Israeli attacks and occupation of Lebanese territory.

In Beirut, President Joseph Aoun said Lebanon remained committed to negotiations aimed at ending the conflict. Speaking during a meeting with Deputy Michel Zaher at Baabda Presidential Palace, Aoun rejected reports suggesting Beirut opposed negotiations.

He said discussions with Israel are focused on securing a full Israeli withdrawal from Lebanese territory and establishing a lasting ceasefire while safeguarding Lebanon’s sovereignty and national unity.