The Taliban declared early Monday that they will observe a three-day cease-fire this week across Afghanistan for the Muslim Eid al-Fitr holiday.
In a statement issued on Twitter, the group's spokesman, Zabihullah Mujahid, said the Taliban’s leadership has issued a directive to its fighters to halt all operations across the country during Eid.
The #Taliban on Monday declared a three-day ceasefire in #Afghanistan to mark this week's Eid al-Fitr holiday, just two days after the government blamed the insurgents for bombs outside a school that killed more than 50 people, mostly young girls https://t.co/EMmj8zREQk— Randa HABIB (@RandaHabib) May 10, 2021
"In order that the Mujahideen [holy fighters] again provide a peaceful and secure atmosphere to our compatriots during Eid-ul-Fitr so that they may celebrate this joyous occasion with a greater peace of mind, all Mujahideen…are instructed to halt all offensive operations,” he said.
"But if the enemy conducts any assault or attack against you during these days, stand ready to robustly protect and defend yourselves and your territory," the statement added.
The Taliban also instructed its fighters not to visit areas where Afghan forces are present or allow them to enter Taliban-controlled areas
Afghanistan will mark Eid either Wednesday or Thursday depending on the sighting of the moon.
Afghanistan’s Taliban say they will participate in a three-day cease-fire marking the end of Ramadan. It follows a brutal attack on a girls’ school on Saturday that killed as many 60 people, most of them students. The Taliban denied responsibility. https://t.co/IU9pZuu9iB— The Associated Press (@AP) May 10, 2021
In May last year, the group also announced a three-day cease-fire for Eid, which was reciprocated and welcomed by the Afghan government.
This article has been adapted from its original source.
© Copyright Andolu Ajansi