Kuwait: Two policemen, suspect killed in shootout

Published January 11th, 2005 - 08:34 GMT

A shootout killed two policeman and a suspect they were chasing in a suburb of the Kuwaiti capital, authorities said, after the U.S. Embassy warned on Monday that an individual or group of people were driving around Kuwait looking for Westerners to attack.

  

It was not immediately clear why police were chasing the suspect and if he was the individual cited in the Embassy's warning. Kuwait has recently increased security at road junctions, near hotels, embassies and oil installations, citing threats.


In Monday's exchange of fire, suspect Fawwaz Tlaiq al-Otaibi allegedly shot at police chasing him after he entered a shop in the Hawally suburb of the capital. He was injured but escaped into a waiting car with a number of his "colleagues" in it, according to an Interior Ministry statement quoted by state television.


"One of the suspects in the car" shot at police as it left the scene, killing the two policemen and injuring two others, it said.


Within an hour, the official Kuwait News Agency announced that al-Otaibi had been arrested. Later, state television said he died at a hospital.

 

Subscribe

Sign up to our newsletter for exclusive updates and enhanced content