Lebanon issues arrest warrant for suspect in Nov. Beirut bombing

Published January 19th, 2016 - 03:30 GMT

A Lebanese judge Tuesday issued an arrest warrant against a key suspect in the twin suicide bombing that targeted a Beirut southern suburb in November, a judicial source told The Daily Star.

Lebanese Military Investigative Judge Riad Abu Ghaida issued an arrest warrant against Khaled Zein, a Lebanese national also known as “Abu Talha,” who was detained earlier this month by police in north Lebanon.

Military Prosecutor Judge Saqr Saqr referred the suspect on Monday to Abu Ghaida.

The case was linked to the Nov. 12 attack in Burj al-Barajneh that killed 47 people and wounded more than 200.

A security source had told The Daily Star that the Internal Security Forces' Information Branch had infiltrated the group led by Abu Talha, leading to his arrest in the Tripoli neighborhood of Qibbeh after close surveillance.

The Burj al-Barajneh attack, claimed by Daesh, was the first to hit the southern suburbs of Beirut in over a year. A bomber sent by the group was also planning to target the predominantly Alawite Tripoli neighborhood of Jabal Mohsen earlier the same day, but was arrested by members of the Information Branch.

Since then, many members of the ring behind the attack have been arrested by Lebanese authorities.

On Nov. 26, a joint Hezbollah-Syrian army operation killed a Syrian man accused of transporting the two suicide bombers who blew themselves up in Burj al-Barajneh.


Copyright © 2021, The Daily Star. All rights reserved.

You may also like