Iraq said on Thursday that more than 350 Iraqi civilians had been killed since the United States and Britain invaded one week ago, with women, children and elderly people making up most of the victims.
Health Minister Umeed Midhat Mubarak accused U.S. and British forces of using cluster bombs and other weapons to frighten civilians and maximise damage. "They try to do their best to terrorise our people by using a certain kind of bomb that causes panic among people," Mubarak said. "The aggressors think that the people of Iraq will be easily frightened. They forget the Iraqi spirit."
"Most of these martyrs and victims are children, women and elderly people who cannot afford to protect themselves," Mubarak said.
"So you see that those aggressors, the Americans and the English and their allies, are targeting civilians in Iraq, regardless of their age," Mubarak said.
He added that in all more than 4,000 civilians had been killed and injured in the war. Mubarak said that in Baghdad alone, 36 people had been killed over the last 24 hours by air strikes.
Meanwhile, invasion forces announced plans to intensify attacks against Iraqi forces in the coming hours and days.
Forecasts indicate "pretty good weather" in the next three days, a top official at U.S. Central Command said Thursday.
"I think you'll certainly see us increase our activity in the coming hours, days given the clearing weather," the official said. The official also confirmed that coalition forces have suffered "multiple casualties" in several incidents but refused to give specifics on numbers or locations. (Albawaba.com)
© 2003 Al Bawaba (www.albawaba.com)