MSF: Despite denial, Saudi planes did bomb Yemen hospital

Published October 31st, 2015 - 09:59 GMT

Medecins Sans Frontieres (MSF) said Friday that the Saudi-led coalition’s denial of shelling a hospital in Yemen contradicts the facts.

“Saudi authorities are denying the evident truth of having destroyed a hospital,” Laurent Sury, head of MSF emergency operations, said.

According to MSF, one of its hospitals in northern Yemen had been struck by missiles on Monday.

No casualties were reported, but the hospital, which served around 150 people per week, was destroyed.

The international NGO’s comments come after Saudi UN envoy Abdallah al-Mouallimi denied that coalition planes hit the hospital.

“The Arab coalition aircraft did not carry out operations in Saada at the time of the reported incident,” Mouallimi told a news conference Wednesday. “The wise thing to do is to await the results of the investigation.”

On Thursday, UN spokesman Stephane Dujarric also responded to the Saudi denial by asserting that the attack on the MSF-run hospital was carried out by the Saudi-led coalition.

“The issue of who controls the skies and who has the air power, I think, is clear for many people to see,” Dujarric told reporters in New York.


© Copyright Andolu Ajansi

You may also like