'An Ongoing Tragedy': UN Urges Leaders to Stop Migrant Deaths

Published January 25th, 2018 - 08:41 GMT
A view inside the Congress Centre during the annual World Economic Forum (WEF) on Jan. 23, 2018 in Davos, eastern Switzerland (Fabrice COFFRINI / AFP)
A view inside the Congress Centre during the annual World Economic Forum (WEF) on Jan. 23, 2018 in Davos, eastern Switzerland (Fabrice COFFRINI / AFP)

The U.N. migration agency at World Economic Forum in Davos urged top political leaders to take actions in a bid to stop migrant deaths in the Mediterranean.

More than 200 migrant deaths were recorded in the Mediterranean in Jan. 2018 so far, according to International Organization for Migration (IOM).

"It is an ongoing tragedy. We have already lost a couple of hundred people in January alone," William Lacy Swing, IOM’s director general, said in Davos.

Swing also called on participants in Davos from the private sector to provide jobs to migrants.

Earlier this month, the U.N. had warned about a deadly beginning of the year for migrants crossing the Mediterranean Sea and appealed for more resettlement places and other safe alternatives to protect them.

Noting that the issues of migrants have been widely discussed in Davos compared to recent years, Swing said there would be six events in Davos on migration.

Over 3,000 participants from more than 110 countries and more than 340 public figures are attending the forum, for which security is expected to cost nearly $10 million.

The heads of states included 10 from Africa, nine from the Middle East and North Africa, six from Latin America and 40 Western leaders.

 

 

This article has been adapted from its original source.


© Copyright Andolu Ajansi

You may also like