Paris attacks suspect Abdelslam to be extradited to France, will not appeal extradition

Published March 24th, 2016 - 12:15 GMT
Mohamed, brother of the two suspected extremists responsible for the Paris attacks, placing lit candles on the balcony of his home during a vigil for the Paris victims. (AFP/File)
Mohamed, brother of the two suspected extremists responsible for the Paris attacks, placing lit candles on the balcony of his home during a vigil for the Paris victims. (AFP/File)

Paris attacks suspect Saleh Abdeslam will not fight extradition to France following his arrest last week, his lawyer told a court hearing in Brussels on Thursday, Belgian state broadcaster RTBF reported.

The court hearing came two days after Tuesday's Brussels bombings in both Zaventem Airport and Maelbeek metro station, killing 31 people and injuring 260 others, Belgium's Feder Public Prosecutor Frederic Van Leeuw told reporters in Brussels on Wednesday.

Belgian-born French national Abdeslam's lawyer Sven Mary said his client does not want to aid the Belgian police and so is willing to be extradited to France.

Van Leeuw on Wednesday warned that the death toll for Tuesday's attacks could rise in the days to come.

Daesh has claimed responsibility for the attacks through a news agency linked to the group.

RTBF also reported Thursday there may have been a second attacker at the Maelbeek metro station. Citing unnamed sources, the media said the suspect was filmed by a surveillance camera at the metro station carrying a large bag alongside the identified suicide bomber Khalid El Bakraoui on Tuesday.

By Ilgın Karlıdağ


© Copyright Andolu Ajansi

You may also like