The Pentagon denied late on Monday that the United States had carried out military activity in Syria’s Homs.
The denial was made after SANA state TV reported overnight that anti-aircraft defenses had shot down missiles fired at an air base in the Homs area, and a media unit run by the Lebanese group “Hezbollah” said missiles had also targeted an air base near Damascus.
"There is no US military activity in that area at this time," Eric Pahond, a Pentagon spokesman said. "We do not have additional details to provide."
State media later on Tuesday retracted the reports of the strike.
It said that air defense had been activated after a “false alarm.”
"There was no external attack on Syria," a military source said.
A pro-regime figure, told Reuters on condition of anonymity, that the malfunction was attributed to "a joint electronic attack" by Israel and the US targeting the Syrian radar system.
The issue had been dealt with by Russian experts, he added.
The reports came just a few days after the US, Britain and France conducted airstrikes targeting chemical weapons facilities in Syria, in retaliation for a poisonous gas attack in the town of Douma in Eastern Ghouta that left at least 40 dead.
This article has been adapted from its original source.
Copyright © Saudi Research and Publishing Co. All rights reserved.