Saudi Arabia strongly condemned on Tuesday the Iranian meddling in Morocco’s internal affairs in wake of Rabat’s severing of its ties with Tehran over its support of the Polisario Front group.
Riyadh stressed that its stands by Rabat against everything that threatens its security, stability and sovereignty.
An official from the Saudi Foreign Ministry said that the Kingdom strongly condemns the Iranian meddling in Moroccan affairs through its pawn, the Lebanese “Hezbollah” group.
The group was accused by Rabat of supporting Polisario by training and arming its fighters, via the Iranian embassy in Algeria.
The source therefore said that it backs Morocco in its decision to cut ties with Iran.
Earlier on Tuesday, Moroccan Foreign Minister Nasser Bourita accused Tehran of supplying Polisario with weapons through “Hezbollah”.
He told reporters that "a first shipment of weapons was recently" sent to the Polisario Front, which is seeking independence, via an "element" at the Iranian embassy in Algiers.
The Polisario and Morocco fought for control of Western Sahara from 1975 to 1991, with Rabat taking over the desert territory before a UN-brokered ceasefire in the former Spanish colony.
Rabat considers Western Sahara an integral part of Morocco and proposes autonomy for the resource-rich territory, but the Polisario Front insists on a UN referendum on independence.
This article has been adapted from its original source.
Copyright © Saudi Research and Publishing Co. All rights reserved.