Yemeni media have released a video purporting to show the northern province of Sa’ada being targeted with banned cluster bombs by Saudi warplanes.
The footage on Sunday showed Saudi fighter jets bombing the residential area of Maran village in Sa’ada Province with cluster bombs, al-Yemen al-Youm television network reported.
Tens of civilians were reportedly killed in the attack and several houses were destroyed.
Meanwhile, Saudi bombs also hit a number of locations in Sanhan district in the capital city of Sana’a. Saudi warplanes also attacked the security forces headquarters in Haraz district in the northern Hajjah Province.
Reports also indicate that a number of Yemeni civilians were killed in Saudi bombings in al-Hazm district of the northern al-Jawf Province.
In August, Human Rights Watch (HRW) called on Saudi Arabia to “immediately stop using these (cluster) weapons and join the treaty banning them.” The rights group said the cluster bombs had resulted in the deaths of dozens of civilians.
Senior researcher Ole Solvang from the HRW said earlier in May that the cluster bombs “can’t distinguish military targets from civilians, and their unexploded submunitions threaten civilians, especially children, even long after the fighting.”
Yemen has been under Saudi attacks on a daily basis since March 26.
Some 7,000 people have reportedly lost their lives in the Saudi raids, and at least 14,000 people have been injured.
Editor's note: This article has been edited from the source material
Copyright © 2020 Press TV. All rights reserved.