Saudi Arabia has intercepted a ballistic missile over Riyadh after Yemen rebels claimed to have fired at the royal residence of King Salman.
Eyewitnesses said they saw a plume of smoke rising over the northeast of the capital after hearing a blast at about 10.50 a.m. this morning - shortly before the scheduled unveiling of the Saudi budget.
A Saudi-led coalition is battling the armed Houthi movement in neighboring Yemen and this morning the Shiite rebels said they were targeting a meeting of leaders at Yamama palace.
They claimed a ballistic "Volcano H-2" missile was used in the attack.
Pictures on social media showed a trail of white smoke in the skies above the city this morning. State television has claimed there are no reports of damage so far while officials said the missile was "Iranian-Houthi."
It was the second Houthi missile attack on Riyadh in the past two months.
The first attack, which targeted Riyadh international airport on Nov. 4, triggered the tightening of a longstanding Saudi-led blockade of Yemen - already on the verge of famine.
Saudi Arabia angrily accused Iran of supplying the missile to the rebels, a charge Tehran strongly denied.
On Thursday, U.S. ambassador to the United Nations Nikki Haley presented what she called "undeniable" evidence that last month's missile was "made in Iran."
But her comments went beyond the findings of a U.N. investigation which reached no firm conclusion on whether the missile came from an Iranian supplier, saying only that it had a "common origin" to some Iranian designs.
- U.S. Shows ‘Undeniable’ Proof Iran Arms Yemeni Houthis
- 'A Humanitarian Catastrophe:' The Five Countries Enabling Saudi's War in Yemen
This article has been adapted from its original source.
© Associated Newspapers Ltd.