Settlers outline ”conduct code” for withdrawal as ”massive” protest against pull-out expected next week

Published July 4th, 2005 - 11:20 GMT

Settler leaders and rabbis were meeting Monday to draw up a code of conduct designed to prevent violence during opposition protests to the upcoming Gaza withdrawal, settler leaders said.

The initiative was launched after protests against the planned pullout turned violent last week, prompting concerns of greater confrontation during the evacuation of the Gaza Strip and four West Bank settlements, scheduled to begin in mid-August.

Meanwhile, settlers and rightists from around Israel are expected to drive together to Gaza in a show of solidarity and will launch a massive protest against the upcoming pullout in what organizers promise will be one of largest demonstrations yet.


 

According to Israeli media reports, thousands of drivers will make their way to the Gaza Strip next week to protest Israel’s pullout in a massive motorcade that is likely to tie up traffic nationwide and would mark one of the biggest demonstrations against the withdrawal to date, settler leaders said on Monday.


In a related development, the desert community of Nitzanim, located in southern Israel, will undergo a massive facelift after the absorption of hundreds of settler families slated for evacuation.

 

Yedioth Aharonot reported Monday about plans drafted by the Israeli Interior Ministry and land developers that unifies the existing town of Nitzan with a new neighborhod, which will house settlers from all 21 settlements Israel plans to remove, into the new municipality of Nitzanim.

 


© 2000 - 2022 Al Bawaba (www.albawaba.com)

You may also like