Sinai Daesh affiliate claims rocket fire into Israel

Published July 4th, 2015 - 06:30 GMT

The Islamic State in the Sinai province on Friday claimed responsibility for the firing of rockets from Sinai into southern Israel earlier in the day.

"With God's willing we bombarded the Jewish positions in occupied Palestine with three Grad rockets," the group said in a statement on Twitter.

It also published three pictures, one showing the three Grad rockets before they were fired and the other two showing the rockets as they were launched.

The Islamic State statement said the rocket attack was in retaliation for Israel's support of Egypt's armed forces on Wednesday in northern Sinai.

Earlier, an Israeli army spokesman said a rocket fired from Sinai landed in southern Israel causing no casualties or damage.

An Egyptian security source also confirmed earlier Friday that a rocket was fired towards Israel by unidentified assailants from an area that overlooks the southern sector of the Egyptian Rafah area.

The source added that the situation in Sinai is "totally under control."

Israel this week bolstered security along its border and shut down a key highway to Egypt after security forces in Egypt's restive Sinai Peninsula were targeted in a spate of attacks by a local Islamic State affiliate.

The self-styled Sinai Province of the Islamic State said the attacks included three suicide bombings and the use of heavy weapons, guided rockets and anti-aircraft missiles.

The Egyptian military said Wednesday on state television that 100 "terrorists" were killed, along with 17 soldiers.

The attacks were the deadliest since the army declared northern Sinai a war zone in 2013 following the military's overthrow of Islamist president Mohammed Morsi.

Also on Friday, an unnamed security official reported that four militants had been killed by Egyptian army airstrikes in Sinai.


© 2022 dpa GmbH

You may also like