Khartoum denied the fighting in its western Darfur region that has killed 30,000 people was genocide, saying on Monday the term was being used by international leaders for their own interests.
"What is happening in Darfur is no genocide," Sudanese Foreign Minister Mustafa Osman Ismail was quoted as saying in an interview with Belgian daily De Standaard, published on Monday.
The US and the EU have demanded Sudan disarm pro-government Arab groups in the region accused of killing black Africans.
"That (the U.S. Congress labelling) is prejudicial. The African Union has concluded there is no question of genocide. I have more confidence in its judgment," Sudan's top diplomat noted.
"It's an election year in the United States. Deputies of both parties are targeting the vote of black Americans and present themselves as the protectors of the African interests."
Ismail told the Belgian newspaper "more than 100 Janjaweed militia members had been arrested" and rejected accusations of government involvement in violence.
He said his country was making "serious efforts" to correct the situation and that progress in terms of safety and humanitarian aid had been achieved. "We are doing what is right and we will continue to do what is right," Ismail said.
He denounced as forgeries documents that Human Rights Watch earlier unveiled, apparently showing clear government support for the Janjaweed.
On his part, President Omar al-Bashir said he believed dialogue could resolve the crisis. He said the Sudanese people and their government were capable of solving the Darfur problem "through constructive dialogue".
"We are willing to co-operate with the African Union and the international community to resolve the crisis in the region," he told reporters in Khartoum. (albawaba.com)
© 2004 Al Bawaba (www.albawaba.com)