Suicide bombing of Saudi mosque leaves three dead

Published October 26th, 2015 - 06:54 GMT
Saudi residents survey the damage caused by a suicide attack on a mosque earlier this year. (Twitter)
Saudi residents survey the damage caused by a suicide attack on a mosque earlier this year. (Twitter)

An attack on worshipers in a mosque in southern Saudi Arabia has killed at least three people and wounded 19 more, officials say.

The Saudi-owned al-Arabiya television said the Monday attack came in the southern Najran Province bordering Yemen.

The news channel said the suspect behind the explosion was injured in the attack, adding that authorities have launched an investigation into the incident.

Some other Saudi media said the bombing took place during evening prayers at the al-Mashhad mosque.

Saudi authorities have yet to comment on the incident.

Saudi Arabia has been facing a mounting threat from terrorist groups over the past months, with groups like Daesh claiming the bombings which have mostly targeted mosques and religious centers.

Najran is close to Yemen, where Saudi Arabia is carrying out incessant attacks in a bid to undermine the ruling Ansarullah movement and its allied military units.

The militant group Daesh, which has carried deadly attacks north of the kingdom, has also claimed responsibility for several attacks in the south, including one on August 6, in which an attacker targeted a mosque inside a police headquarters in the city of Abha in Asir region, killing 15 people, most of them security forces.

This article has been modified from the source material.


Copyright © 2021 Press TV. All rights reserved.

You may also like