More than 20 people have been killed, many of them children, and dozens of others wounded Monday in airstrikes that targeted a town in northern Syria held by ISIS, activists and the extremist group said.
The airstrikes that targeted the town of Manbij in Aleppo province were most likely carried out by Syrian army warplanes, according to the Britain-based Syrian Observatory for Human Rights. It said the death toll was likely to rise because many of the wounded suffered critical injuries.
Twitter and Facebook accounts affiliated with ISIS said 26 people were killed and around 100 others wounded in the attacks.
Separately, Britain will not stop its pilots taking part in airstrikes against ISIS in Syria, Defense Secretary Michael Fallon said, after some lawmakers accused the government of ignoring the will of parliament.
Lawmakers voted against military action in Syria’s civil war in 2013, but the government said Friday some pilots had taken part in Syrian missions on behalf of the United States and Canada against the militants.
Speaking in Parliament Monday, Fallon said a total of five British pilots embedded with allied forces had been involved in strikes in Syria, something he said he had given authorization for in autumn last year.
Fallon added that none was currently involved in the strikes, but asked whether the government would withdraw British pilots from carrying them out in Syria until parliament had voted to take action there, Fallon said: “No ... we continue to have personnel embedded with American and Canadian forces.”
“They are engaged in action that is legal, that is necessary and in action that I welcome and I would hope this house would welcome to help defeat [ISIS],” he said.
Copyright © 2021, The Daily Star. All rights reserved.