Three days after rescue: Bam survivor dies in hospital

Published January 11th, 2004 - 02:00 GMT
Al Bawaba
Al Bawaba

A 57-year-old man, who had been pulled out alive after spending 13 days beneath the rubble of the quake-hit city of Bam in southeast Iran, died Saturday night at a field hospital, medics said Sunday.  

 

Jalil Shahinaki had slipped into deep coma after being pulled from the rubble last Wednesday by an Iranian search and rescue team. 

 

Dr. Mehdi Shadnoush, a member of the team at a Ukrainian field hospital where the man was being treated, cited heart failure as well as respiratory and pulmonary problems as the cause of the death, IRIB reported. 

 

Shahinaki had survived 13 days under the rubble, thanks to the fact that he was under a piece of furniture, but medical officials had said that his chances of being saved were slim. (Albawaba.com)

© 2004 Al Bawaba (www.albawaba.com)

Subscribe

Sign up to our newsletter for exclusive updates and enhanced content