The Tunisian tourism ministry dismissed claims Tuesday that tourists were in danger in the country after a German tour operator decided to evacuate around 300 tourists from a hotel amidst claims of a bomb alert.
The ministry said that claims that two hotels were under threat were "without foundation" in spite of the move by the operator who had received information regarding the alert at one of the hotels near the port city of Sousse.
A spokesman for the German TUI travel company said that 34 tourists staying at its Bellevue Park hotel near Sousse had decided to end their holiday early following the alert, but that the remaining 260 had moved to other hotels.
In what it described as information coming from "anonymous and imprecise threats", the Tunisian ministry said that tourists residing at one of two hotels cited by the German authorities had been evacuated and taken "to other hotels of their choice", AFP reported.
The other hotel was "provisionally closed for renovation", the ministry said, adding that tourists could continue to visit Tunisia in "total safety and peace of mind".
The Bellevue Park hotel, whose guests were mainly Germans but also included others, has been closed until further notice.
The TUI spokesman said that threats had apparently been made against another of its hotels, the Sun Palm, which it admitted was closed for renovations.
The bomb alerts come almost two months after a blast outside a synagogue on the Tunisian resort island of Djerba killed 19 people, 14 of them German tourists travelling with TUI.
The German foreign ministry, for its part, said the threats had to be taken seriously. (Albawaba.com)
© 2000 - 2022 Al Bawaba (www.albawaba.com)