Tunisian officials have begun an investigation into a report that the sacked interior minister plotted a government overthrow in coordination with the United Arab Emirates.
Sources inside Tunisia's parliament said on Tuesday that officials were probing the alleged plot by Lotfi Brahem.
"Lawmakers have accelerated efforts to hold a session to uncover the truth behind this issue," the source, who spoke on the condition of anonymity, said.
"The former minister and anyone else involved may be questioned or brought before parliament's security council,"
"The information surrounding Brahem's dismissal... clearly indicates that something was being planned and that it was foiled," the sources added.
French-language Le Monde Afrique reported on Monday that ousted Brahem had planned a coup in the North African country with the backing of the UAE to remove the democratically-elected ruling Ennahdha Party.
The Islamist Ennahdha movement beat its rivals last month in Tunisia's first free municipal elections.
Brahem and numerous officials were sacked last Wednesday, days after a shipwreck that killed at least 66 migrants.
No reason was given for the dismissal of Brahem.
The report alleged that the ex-minister was in fact dismissed over the plot, which was spun in a secret meeting with an Emirati intelligence official in the city of Djerba on 29 May.
"His dubious moves made him questionable and resulted in the quick move of the Prime Minister Youssef Chahed who dismissed him after consulting President Beji Caid Essebsi," the report said.
Copyright @ 2020 The New Arab.