Turkish Police Arrest 2 Suspects in U.S. Embassy Ankara Attack

Published August 21st, 2018 - 09:45 GMT
Turkish police detain 2 people in U.S. Embassy gun attack. (Shutterstock/ File Photo)
Turkish police detain 2 people in U.S. Embassy gun attack. (Shutterstock/ File Photo)

Two suspects involved in the U.S. Embassy drive-by shooting in Ankara have been arrested, the regional governor's office said on Monday.

Ankara Governor's Office named the suspects as Ahmet Celikten and Osman Gundas; the 9mm pistol and vehicle used in the shooting incident were also seized.

Celikten and Gundas have confessed to their involvement in the attack, the office said.

Celikten, who was born in 1979, was wanted for prison break; he also had a criminal record for causing reckless injury; the other suspect, Gundas, born in 1980, had several criminal records such as causing deliberate injury, drugs and auto theft.

A judicial probe into the incident remains ongoing; contacts of the suspects and all aspects of the shooting incident are being investigated, said the official statement. 

Meanwhile, the U.S. Embassy in Turkey thanked the Turkish police and government for its efforts in nabbing the suspects.

"We thank the Turkish National Police and the Government of Turkey for their fast and professional action in apprehending two individuals who allegedly attacked our Mission this morning. We appreciate their support and protection," the U.S. Mission in Turkey said on Twitter.

The attack took place at 5.30 a.m. local time (0230 GMT) when six shots were fired from a white vehicle at the U.S. Embassy's main entrance.

Earlier, Turkey's presidential aide had condemned the attack on the U.S. Embassy and said all foreign missions in the country remain safe.

In a Twitter post, Ibrahim Kalin said: "We condemn the attack on the U.S. embassy. This is a clear attempt to create chaos.

"Turkey is a safe country and all foreign missions remain safe under the law. The incident is being investigated and will be clarified as soon as possible."

In a written statement, the Ankara Governor had said there were no casualties in the incident.

This article has been adapted from its original source.

You may also like