Two Palestinians die, five Israeli soldiers injured; Dispute over release of prisoners

Published February 3rd, 2005 - 10:29 GMT

Two Israeli soldiers were wounded late on Thursday when Palestinian fighters opened fire on them. The incident occurred near the West Bank settlement of Eshkolot, southwest of Hebron.

 

Earlier on Thursday, two Israeli troops were wounded in the Gaza Strip when a Palestinian attacked their jeep. The Palestinian threw hand grenades and shot at the Israeli vehicle near an occupation outpost. The Palestinian was killed by the soldiers' return fire.

 

Meanwhile, a meeting between Israeli and Palestinian officials regarding security arrangements ahead of the summit planned for next week, failed, press reports suggested.

At the meeting, Israel offered to free 900 Palestinian prisoners, 500 immediately and another 400 in three months. This offer was made following the approval by a special ministerial panel of a draft of security arrangements with the Palestinian Authority.

 

The Palestinian officials demanded at the meeting the release of veteran, ill, and young prisoners in addition to the Israeli offer.

 

Earlier in the day, Israel approved a troop pullback from a number of West Bank cities and a plan to free the 900 prisoners, ahead of next week's summit with the Palestinians in Egypt, an Israeli cabinet minister said. According to Haaretz, no Palestinians with "blood on their hands," a reference to attacks that killed Israelis, will be freed under the decision.

 

A Palestinian was killed Thursday in Bait Lahia north of Gaza Strip succumbing to wounds he sustained by Israeli fire earlier this year. "The Palestinian man was injured seriously when an Israeli tank fired a missile at a group of Palestinians in Tallet Fad'ous area, killed 7 of them and injured another one," Palestinian medical sources said.

Elsewhere, the Israeli occupation forces continued its aggression in Gaza Strip and the West Bank, using various kinds of weapons. "The Israeli occupation forces stormed into Burqa village in Nablus city, opened fire intensively and hit a ten-year-old child," Palestine T.V. reported Thursday.

The Israeli forces also penetrated into Ain Bait Al Ma' Refugee Camp and into Rafidia neighborhood in the city and arrested several Palestinians.


In Tulkarim in the West Bank, the Israeli occupation forces continued its siege on Saida town and stormed into Palestinian houses.


 

Subscribe

Sign up to our newsletter for exclusive updates and enhanced content