UAE Denies Plans it Intends to Expel Qatari Nationals

Published July 5th, 2018 - 01:43 GMT
(Shutterstock/ File Photo)
(Shutterstock/ File Photo)
The UAE stressed on Thursday that it has not taken any administrative measures or issued laws on the expulsion of Qatari nationals since it cut relations with Qatar in June last year.

"Since its announcement on June 5th, 2017, pursuant to which the United Arab Emirates took certain measures against Qatar for national security reasons, the UAE has instituted a requirement for all Qatari citizens overseas to obtain prior permission for entry into the UAE," the Ministry of Foreign Affairs and International Cooperation said in a statement published by Emirates News Agency (WAM).

"Permission may be granted for a limited-duration period, at the discretion of the UAE government,” it said.

The ministry stressed that Qatari citizens residing in the UAE need not apply for permission to keep their residency. However, all Qatari nationals resident in the UAE are encouraged to obtain prior permission for re-entry into UAE territories.

The statement said Qatar has been making “false accusations” against the UAE, which “has not issued any legal or administrative laws or orders relating to the expulsion of Qatari citizens.”

“The UAE will continue to maintain all measures instituted against the Qatari government to address the threat it poses to regional security,” it added.

The UAE foreign ministry also called on Qatar to stop its support for terrorist organizations and individuals, and not to interfere in the affairs of its neighbors.
 
 
This article has been adapted from its original source.

Copyright © Saudi Research and Publishing Co. All rights reserved.

You may also like