Suicide blast in Afghanistan leaves 11 dead and 13 wounded

Published January 17th, 2016 - 12:00 GMT

At least 11 civilians were killed and 13 others wounded in a suicide attack on the residence of a public representative in Jalalabad, the capital of eastern Nangarhar province, on Sunday, according to Pajhwok reports.

The bomb attack on provincial council member Obaidullah Shinwari's house happened in the third police district at 10.30am, said the Nangarhar governor's spokesman.

Attaullah Khogyani informed that the blast targeted a residential building owned by Shinwari and Malik Usman, a tribal elder. He said 11 people were killed and 13 others were wounded in the attack.

Provincial council secretary Zabihullah Zmaray confirmed the assault, saying many people had gathered at Shinwari's house following the release of his brother from jail.

Azizullah, giving an eyewitness account, said a man wearing black clothes entered Usman's room where several people were sitting. Soon after his entry into the room, the man blew himself up.

He added security guards followed the man, who managed to detonate his explosives before being stopped. The witness feared the casualties could increase.

The Shinwari tribe is known for their strong opposition to the presence of Daesh in the eastern province. There is speculation the attack might have been carried out by Daesh militants.

However, no group has so far claimed responsibility for the bombing, which came a week after several people suffered casualties in a suicide attack near the Pakistan consulate in Jalalabad.


Copyright © Pajhwok Afghan News. All rights reserved.

You may also like