Fernando Alonso out of Bahrain Grand Prix

Fernando Alonso out of Bahrain Grand Prix
4.00 6

Published April 1st, 2016 - 14:34 GMT via SyndiGate.info

Rate Article:

 
PRINT Send Mail
comment (0)
FIA rule injured McLaren driver out of Bahrain Grand Prix
FIA rule injured McLaren driver out of Bahrain Grand Prix

McLaren driver Fernando Alonso will not be allowed to take part in Formula One's Bahrain Grand Prix on Sunday following his crash in Melbourne with reserve driver Stoffel Vandoorne taking his place.

"Two sets of chest CT scans were compared and it was decided that there was insufficient resolution of the signs to allow him to compete on safety grounds," governing body FIA said in statement Thursday after Alonso took a medical at the Sakhir circuit in Bahrain.

"A repeat chest scan has been requested before the Chinese Grand Prix (on April 17) and the results will be considered before allowing him to race there."

Alonso was able to climb unaided from what remained of his car after he had clipped the Haas of Esteban Gutierrez and flew through the air in one of the worst-looking crashes in recent F1 history at the Australian Grand Prix on March 20.

Before the FIA judgement, he had previously said he was looking forward to racing in Bahrain but McLaren said it would accept the ruling.

"Following any on-track incident, we will always abide by the FIA doctors' decisions," the team said online.

"I'm disappointed," Alonso said at a pre-race press conference. "Drivers love competition and love the sport, so when you can't race it is sad.

"I was prepared to drive with pain. Pain is manageable but doctors said there were other risks."

He explained that he suffered rib fractures in the Melbourne crash and that there was a risk this could affect his lungs while driving.

Alonso will remain in Bahrain over the weekend to aid 24-year-old Belgian reserve driver Vandoorne, the reigning second-tier GP2 champion, who will make his F1 debut this weekend in his place.

"About to board for Bahrain, a bit earlier than expected but so much looking forward to it! Will do my very best for the team," Vandoorne tweeted as he prepared to fly from Japan to Bahrain.

Alonso's absence is the second time in just over a year he has been forced to sit out a race. He missed the 2015 season-opener in Australia following a heavy crash in testing.

© 2015 dpa GmbH

Add a new comment

Avatar