Fans of the much-loved Saturday Night Takeaway expressed outrage as the show was not aired over the weekend following co-host Ant McPartlin's drink-driving charge.
And ITV were reportedly affected by the decision, with the broadcaster 'losing 3 million viewers' after the show was replaced by The Voice on Saturday evening.
The singing competition only managed to receive 4.2 million views, compared to the favoured series' average of approximately 8 million.
A source revealed to The Sun: 'It’s a ratings nightmare for ITV, who are now pulling out all the stops to make sure Dec has plenty of support when he presents solo next week.'
Devastated fans of variety series took to Twitter to share their sadness after the show was cancelled in the wake of Ant's charge and subsequent return to rehab.
Unfortunate: Fans of the much-loved Saturday Night Takeaway went wild as the show was not aired over the weekend, following Ant McPartlin's drink-driving charge
Many viewers had not realised the show was taking a break this weekend before returning next Saturday with Declan Donnelly presenting on his own.
Loyal followers were quick to shar their frustrations on social media.
Alex Green said: 'Actually so gutted there's no Saturday Night Takeaway on tonight.'
@SadlerFiona21 tweeted: 'Saturdays aren't the same without our favourite Geordie Duo Ant and Dec. Really missing #SaturdayNightTakeaway tonight. Love these boys so much.'
Going solo: Many viewers had not realised the show was taking a break this weekend before returning next Saturday with Declan Donnelly presenting on his own
Not pleased: Devastated fans took to Twitter to share their sadness that the show was not on last weekend
A down-hearted Scotty Mac tuned in only to find the programme had been replaced by The Voice, saying: 'Yay its time for #SaturdayNightTakeaway I wonder who will ..... Sorry what??? Oh. Erm ...'
One social media user said: 'What? @ITV where is @ITVTakeaway?!?!'
Christina wrote: 'I thought @ITVtakeaway was still on tonight with just Dec?! #SaturdayNightTakeaway.'
Some fans who didn't realise the show was cancelled and took to social media to voice their disappointment
Sean commented: 'This doesn't look like Saturday Night Takeaway... #SaturdayNightTakeaway #TheVoiceUK
And another user wrote: 'Anyone know why #SaturdayNightTakeaway ain't on?'
As soon as they realised they show was taking a break for a week, fans started to share their favourite Saturday Night Takeaway memories, using the hashtag #FanMadeSNT.
Liz Southern got a Saturday Night Takeaway themed board game since she couldn't get her normal dose of the show on TV
Many shared clips of Little Ant and Dec while another posted footage of the presenting pair's performance of Oliver.
The fan behind the campaign said: 'It's even more important that we keep our support up and show the boys how much we love and appreciate them'.
Other social media users branded ITV's showing of The Fast and the Furious as inappropriate considering the embattled presenter's charges.
Saturday Night Takeaway was cancelled after Ant's publicist revealed he would be going back to rehab.
An ITV spokesperson said: 'ITV has taken a joint decision with Ant and Dec's team not to broadcast Saturday Night Takeaway this weekend.'
Viewers branded ITV's showing of The Fast and the Furious inappropriate after Ant's drink driving charges
© Associated Newspapers Ltd.