A mother of one of the kidnapped Chibok girls has seen proof that her daughter is still alive on a video published on Saturday (August 13) via social media by her captors Boko Haram.
The girl was heard begging Nigeria's government to exchange imprisoned militants for the girls' freedom.
It is two years since more than 270 students were taken from their school in Northern Nigeria.
It has been mixed emotions for the girl's parents. Her father, Kawo Yakubu, said he hadn't seen his daughter on any video since her abduction and at least he had now heard her.
But her mother, Esther Yakubu, reacted angrily at the inability of the Nigerian government to get the girls back.
"If they (the Nigerian government)are doing something (about the kidnapping situation), they (would) have rescued one. But all the girls that have been rescued, have rescued themselves. Not any government has rescued them, not any army has rescued them."
The authorities said in May that one of the missing girls had been found and President Muhammadu Buhari vowed to rescue the others.
Under Buhari's command and aided by Nigeria's neighbours, the army has recaptured most territory once lost to Boko Haram, but the group still regularly stages suicide bombings.
Boko Haram, which was allied to Daesh but which has apparently recently split from the militant group, has kidnapped hundreds of men, women and children during their seven-year Islamic uprising.
Copyright © euronews 2021