Settlements will go ahead despite Palestinian tent protest, says Israeli PM

Published January 13th, 2013 - 12:12 GMT
Israeli border police evict a Palestinian protester from the scene in the controversial West Bank area known as E1 on Sunday. (TOPSHOTS AFP PHOTO / AHMAD GHARAB)
Israeli border police evict a Palestinian protester from the scene in the controversial West Bank area known as E1 on Sunday. (TOPSHOTS AFP PHOTO / AHMAD GHARAB)

Israeli Prime Minister Binyamin Netanyahu has defied protestors by vowing to go ahead with the plan to build Jewish settlements in the E1 strip of land in the West bank, AP reported on Sunday.

Palestinian demonstrators who erected tents in the disputed land on Friday were forcibly evicted earlier in the day with access roads to the site shut down by Israeli authorities.

Netanyahu told Israel army radio Sunday that "there will be construction", on the land, defying international laws and local protests.

Activists claim the new settlement plan would cut off East Jerusalem from the rest of the West Bank effectively destroying plans for a contiguous Palestinian state. 

 

 


© 2000 - 2020 Al Bawaba (www.albawaba.com)

You may also like