Italy evacuates 15 wounded in Libyan bomb blast

Published January 11th, 2016 - 04:00 GMT

Italy has evacuated 15 Libyans to Italy for medical treatment following a bomb attack last week against a police training center, Reuters reported.

Early Monday moning, Italy sent a C-130 transport plane to Misrata to transport those wounded to a military hospital in Rome, said a statement issued by the Italian government. 

"This operation is a concrete gesture of solidarity and attention by Italy for the Libyan people at a particularly delicate moment for the sensationalist of the country," the statement said.

Daesh claimed responsibility Friday for the bombing one day earlier. The explosion killed at least 47 people and wounded over 100.

Western powers have pressured Libya's rival factions to support a UN-backed plan for a unity government which would join forces against Daesh militants in the country. The agreement has been met with resistance from different political and militant factions on the ground.

Since the 2011 NATO-backed revolt which ousted Moammar Gadhafi, Libya has been plunged into civil conflict. Two rival governments - one in the west, and an internationally-backed government based in Tripoli, are vying for control of the country's oil wealth.

Amidst the turmoil, Daesh has seized the opportunity to launch numerous attacks on Tripoli, oil fields and infrastructure, and shelling two major 

In the chaos, ISIS has grown in strength, targeting Tripoli, the capital, and oil infrastructure, including the shelling of two major oil ports.


© 2000 - 2019 Al Bawaba (www.albawaba.com)

You may also like

You may also like

Subscribe

Sign up to our newsletter for exclusive updates and enhanced content