After a rescue operation for 400 migrants who went missing when their boat capsized off the coast of Libya, the Italian coast guard has found no survivors, AFP reported Wednesday.
The shipwreck happened on Sunday when migrants fleeing Libya tried to reach Europe by boat. Survivors told Save the Children up to 400 people drowned as Italy continued with a rescue operation. The Italian coast guard said it had saved 145 people from the sunken boat and found nine bodies, with the rest of the remains still missing.
Coast guard spokesman Cmdr. Filippo Marini told AFP that rescuers have found no survivors "or anything else which would indicate more victims."
BBC reported that about 7,000 migrants attempting had been rescued from the Mediterranean since Friday, as spring weather made the waters safer and created a rush of residents fleeing their conflict-torn countries.
About 150 survivors arrived in Italy's southern port of Reggio Calabria, according to the International Organization for Migration and Save the Children. But they were unsure whether these had been from the same shipwreck.
© 2000 - 2020 Al Bawaba (www.albawaba.com)