Palestinian village sealed after two stabbings

Published January 26th, 2016 - 10:00 GMT

An Israeli injured during a stab attack in the illegal West Bank settlement of Beit Horon died from her wounds Tuesday, Israeli police said. Israeli police spokesperson Luba al-Samri said in a statement that the 24-year-old woman succumbed to stab wounds in the Hadassah Hospital in Jerusalem. The woman, identified in Israeli media as Shlomit Krigman, was one of two Israelis to be targeted in an attack carried out by two Palestinians on Monday, both of whom were shot dead by an Israeli security guard while fleeing the scene.

Two pipe bombs -- improvised explosive devices -- were found near the scene inside of the illegal settlement following the attack.

The Palestinian Ministry of Health identified the Palestinians who carried out the attack as Ibrahim Osama Yousif Allan, 23 from the village of Beit Ur at-Tahta west of Ramallah and Hussein Muhammad Abu Ghush, 17, from the Qalandiya refugee camp north of Jerusalem. All entrances and exits to Beit Ur at-Tahta were sealed by Israeli military forces following the attack and continued to be closed to all Palestinian movement Tuesday with the exception of medical emergencies, an Israeli army spokesperson told Ma’an.

Krigman is among over 20 Israelis to be killed in attacks carried out by Palestinians since a wave of unrest spread across the occupied Palestinian territory and Israel in October. More than 160 Palestinians have been killed by Israeli forces or settlers during the same time period. Sunday’s attack is one of at least four to be carried out inside of or nearby Israeli settlements in the occupied West Bank over the past week.

Last week a 13-year-old Palestinian girl was shot dead and two 15-year-olds were detained after carrying out separate attacks on Israeli settlers or security. Recent incidents inside of illegal settlements came as the majority of attacks to take place this month were carried out on military personnel near checkpoints.

The Israeli army barred Palestinian laborers from entering Israeli settlements where they work in response to last week’s attacks, preventing some 11,000 Palestinians from reaching their work.The ban had been lifted as of Monday morning with the exception of the Otneil settlement where an Israeli settler was killed in front of her home by a 15-year-old Palestinian from the nearby city of Yatta.

The closure of the Beit Ur at-Tahta village came a week after Israeli army Chief of Staff Gadi Eisenkot said that “it would be a bitter mistake to impose curfews and closures” on Palestinian communities, adding that such moves would “work against Israeli interests.”The Israeli army spokesperson could not specify the expected duration of the closure of the Beit Ur at-Tahta village, but told Ma’an the decision was made in accordance to evaluation of the security situation.

You may also like