Second Israeli killed in Istanbul bombing named as wounded return to Israel

Published March 20th, 2016 - 07:30 GMT
The bodies of two of at least three Israeli killed in the terror attack were due to be repatriated to Israel on Sunday. (AFP/File)
The bodies of two of at least three Israeli killed in the terror attack were due to be repatriated to Israel on Sunday. (AFP/File)

A delegation of Israeli medical and emergency workers returned from Turkey on Sunday morning with Israeli citizens who were wounded in a deadly suicide bombing Saturday in Istanbul.

Two planes carrying five Israeli casualties suffering light-to-moderate wounds arrived early Sunday at Ben-Gurion Airport.

Magen David Adom paramedics evacuated the wounded to Sheba Medical Center, Tel Hashomer and Ichilov Hospital in Tel Aviv.

The suicide bomber killed four people and wounded 36 others, including 11 Israelis in a busy shopping district in central Istanbul.

The bodies of two of at least three Israeli killed in the terror attack were due to be repatriated to Israel on Sunday.

Yonatan Suher, 40, from Tel Aviv was named on Sunday as the second Israeli killed in the blast. He had been on vacation with his wife in the Turkish city on the occasion of his birthday. The couple has two children.

Simcha Dimri, 60, of Dimona has been identified as one of the Israelis killed in Saturday's deadly suicide blast on Istanbul's Istiklal Street.

According to an Israeli official, two Israeli citizens killed in the suicide bombing in Istanbul were dual nationals, holding US citizenship as well.

Also on Sunday, the IDF said it had sent another delegation including Home Front Command forces and Air Force and medical corps to Turkey to run an operating room and air lift wounded Israeli back home.

Along with the Israelis killed in the attack, Washington said two Americans had been killed and a Turkish official said one victim was Iranian, suggesting that some of the dead may have had dual nationality.

Meanwhile, five Palestinians wounded in the attack remained hospitalized in Istanbul under the supervision of MDA team and were expected to be transferred to Israel on Sunday afternoon. According to MDA, four of the Palestinians were in serious condition and one suffered moderate wounds.

There was no immediate claim of responsibility for the attack.


All rights reserved © The Jerusalem Post 1995 - 2021

You may also like