Israeli Prime Minister Ariel Sharon was quoted as saying on Tuesday that he had rejected a proposal from the Bush administration last year to resume peace talks with Syria.
Sharon told the Haaretz daily that top US envoy Elliot Abrams had made the suggestion during a meeting in Rome last November but let the matter drop when it was met with a cool response.
"It was immediately taken off the agenda and they're not raising it any more," Sharon disclosed.
"He (Abrams) wanted to talk with me then on the Syrian issue," said Sharon. "He spoke about what the Syrians were trying to do, that they would enter into negotiations with Israel." (albawaba.com)
© 2004 Al Bawaba (www.albawaba.com)