Southern separatists captured the biggest camp of presidential guards amid fighting with government forces in Yemen's coastal city of Aden on Tuesday, according to a pro-government commander.
Forces loyal to the so-called Southern Transitional Council (STC) have imposed a blockade around the camp of the 4th Brigade in Dar Saad district in northern Aden since Monday, Abdullah al-Shaabi said.
"STC forces have intensively pounded the camp and detonated the arms depot inside," he said.
He said scores had been killed and injured in the ongoing fighting in the city, without giving an exact toll.
The seizure of the camp is the biggest gain for southern separatists against government forces since fighting erupted in the city on Sunday.
Tension has steadily mounted in Aden since the STC called for the dismissal of Prime Minister Ahmed bin Daghr, accusing his government of pushing war-torn Yemen to the brink of starvation.
Around 36 people have been killed and 180 injured in the ongoing clashes between the two sides, according to The International Committee of the Red Cross.
Yemen fell into civil war in 2014 when Houthi rebels overran much of the country, including capital Sanaa, forcing Yemen's Saudi-backed government to set up an interim capital in Aden.
In 2015, Saudi Arabia and its Sunni-Arab allies -- who accuse the Houthis of serving as an Iranian proxy -- launched a massive military campaign aimed at rolling back Houthi gains.
- Yemen Separatists Capture Seat of Government in Aden
- US Approves $500 Million Missile Sale to Saudi Arabia Amid Yemen War
This article has been adapted from its original source.
© Copyright Andolu Ajansi