Fifa suspends World Cup bids official

Fifa suspends World Cup bids official
4.00 6

Published July 7th, 2015 - 02:29 GMT via SyndiGate.info

Rate Article:

 
PRINT Send Mail
comment (0)
Harold Mayne-Nicholls
Harold Mayne-Nicholls

A man who played a key role in picking the sites for the 2018 and 2022 World Cup gamesis suspended from all football-related activity for seven years following a FIFA Ethics Committee internal hearing, world football's governing body said Monday.

"The adjudicatory chamber of the independent Ethics Committee, chaired by Hans-Joachim Eckert, has decided to ban Harold Mayne-Nicholls ... from taking part in any kind of football-related activity at national and international level for a period of seven years," FIFA said in a statement.

Mayne-Nicholls is the former chairman of the Bid Evaluation Group for the 2018 and 2022 FIFA World Cups and a former president of the Chilean Football Association.

FIFA did not release any details of the decision, quoting a confidentiality clause in its Code of Ethics.

FIFA is facing corruption probes by investigators in the United States and Switzerland, where the organization is based.

Last week, the US filed formal requests to extradite seven FIFA officials detained on US bribery charges in Switzerland.

The group of mostly Latin American officials were arrested in Zurich in May on suspicion that they took more than 100 million dollars of bribes in return for the award of media, marketing and sponsoring rights for football tournaments in the United States and Latin America.

Swiss prosecutors are also investigating accusations of foul play in the selection of Russia and Qatar as the venues for the 2018 and 2022 World Cups.

© 2015 dpa GmbH

Add a new comment

 avatar