Enrique Marquez, friend of the couple who carried out the San Bernardino massacre, was denied bail on Monday over charges including conspiring to provide material support to terrorism.
Marquez, 24, told police he bought the .223-caliber DPMS model AR-15 and the Smith & Wesson M&P15 assault-style rifles used in the Dec. 2 attack, a criminal complaint against him read.
He is facing charges of conspiring to provide material support to terrorism, making false statements to authorities about the firearms and an unrelated count of immigration fraud in connection to his marriage to a Russian national.
U.S. Magistrate Judge David Bristow said that while Marquez doesn't appear to be a flight risk, he should be held on no bail until his trial. In his court order, Bristow cited the nature of the allegations and the gravity of the harm Marquez allegedly caused as the reasons for his ruling.
Marquez previously admitted he bought the weapons in 2012 that were used by Syed Farook and his Pakistani wife, Tashfeen Malik, to kill 14 people during a shooting rampage at a San Bernardino social services center.
Officials say Marquez bought the weapons as a favor to Farook, who said he didn't want to be on a gun registry.
While the conspiracy charge doesn't specifically accuse Marquez of having any advanced knowledge of the San Bernardino plot, FBI investigators said he and Farook did acquire the firearms with the intent of carrying out some type of violent attack -- which they allegedly began discussing in 2011.
By Andrew V. Pestano
Copyright © UPI, 2022. All Rights Reserved.